Silk curtains are always known to be the most elegant and luxurious addition to any or every home space, but at the same time, they require proper care and maintenance in order to last longer. Whether you invest in these gorgeous silk curtains for their attractive appearance, or for their insulating properties, or the privacy that they provide, you have to follow up on some tips and tricks so that they can add a magical charm to your area for a longer period of time.
Well, most people might be unaware of these easiest cleaning tips for silk curtains, which we have mentioned in this comprehensive guide. But now you will get to know everything about their maintenance in this blog post which also includes spot cleaning, dry cleaning, and even hand washing. So, without wasting any further time, let’s start our discussion on today’s topic.
Tips For Maintaining The Luxurious Look Of Your Silk Curtains
Before jumping directly onto the cleaning process of your soft-textured silk curtains, let’s have a look at some maintenance tips which will help you keep these hangings for the years to come.
- Make sure your curtains do not get interacted with direct sunlight, which can cause their color to fade.
- Regular dusting of your silk curtains is a must thing as it will prevent any build-up.
- Always remember to use a steam cleaner in order to remove their wrinkles properly.
- It will be better if you keep your pets and children away from these dressings to avoid any stubborn stains or snags.
- Do not use any harsh chemicals while you clean these window silk curtains.
1. Prepare Your Silk Curtains For Cleaning
First things first, while you are planning to clean your silk curtains, it is always important to prepare them first so that they do not lose their elegance.
- Check the cleaning label before performing any cleaning step.
- Remove every sort of hardware or accessories from the curtains.
- Gently brush off any dirt or dust from the fabric of your silk curtains for easy cleaning.
- Check the color fastness or any damage by pouring a small amount of the cleaning solution that you are going to use on a small area of these curtains to check for compatibility.
2. Do The Spot Cleaning Properly
Spot cleaning of your silk curtains is an effective way to remove small stains and keep them looking in their best condition.
- Blot the stain gently with a clean, damp cloth to avoid any damage to the soft fabric.
- Use only a small amount of any mild detergent or stain-remover, if necessary.
- Avoid rubbing or scrubbing the stains, as it might get the fabric damaged.
- Rinse the affected area of the curtains thoroughly with clean water.
3. Dry Cleaning Silk Curtains | Pros & Cons
Dry cleaning is actually the most popular method used to get silk curtains completely cleaned, but there are some cons along with its pros which are given below.
- Dry cleaning ensures the thorough and even cleaning of these curtains.
- Dry cleaning solutions are designed to be gentle on the delicate curtain fabric.
- The dry cleaning method for your silk curtains can be really expensive.
- This cleaning method can weaken the fiber of silk and shorten its lifespan.
4. Give Your Silk Curtains A Hand Wash
Hand washing is a gentle and much more effective way of cleaning your silk curtains than getting them dry cleaned.
- Use the detergent specially designed for the silk curtains cleaning process.
- Fill a tub with cool water and add a suitable amount of detergent to it.
- Gently wash the curtains in that tub while avoiding any scrubbing or twisting of the fabric.
- Rinse the curtains with clean water and let them dry in the open air.
Wrapping It All Up
Because silk curtains are a favorite choice of most homeowners and they create a really opulent appearance, it is necessary to take care of them properly. By following all the above-mentioned cleaning and maintenance tips for these alluring window dressings, you can make these curtains run for a longer period.